fbackup folder 5GB and 15000 files - why?

Post your techical queries on any product in our range of AntiVirus, AntiSpam, Content Security and Firewall Solutions sold under the brand names of eScan, MailScan, eConceal and X-Spam here. Your queries will be responded to by our expert technical team directly.

Moderators: Divesh, Gurdip Singh

fbackup folder 5GB and 15000 files - why?

Postby jasonhing » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:00 am

I tried searching for fbackup in the forum and could not find anything. I just found that my escan folder is now more than 5GB in size. Further checking I found that there is 15000 files and 5GB of space used in the fbackup folder. What is this folder for and why does it have so many files. It's used up almost all the space in my system partition. Running latest 493 version on vista sp2.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby jasonhing » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Nevermind, I found the answer in the FAQ section in the wiki. However, is there anyway to change the setting without editing the registry? Seems impractical if we have to do it for 200++ machines.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby axel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:21 pm

As far as I know, control will be implemented into next eScan release.
Regards,
Axel

DA&S Technology, Germany
axel

Postby jasonhing » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:39 am

The more I use eScan, the more I feel like they rush the technology/function in before it is ready. For example, backing up the files before scanning is a good idea but not enough thought was put into this before the actual implementation. I have enabled USB scanning and each time I stick my USB flash drive and portable HDD, it makes a copy of the scanned files. 5GB in 3 months and no other way to control the size is just not acceptable.

Now I will have to turn off USB scanning feature to fix another potential flaw in this product.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby Shrinivas » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi Jason,

eScan will take backup of clean files from Fix local drives only.
If the file is from External USB flash drive or USB HDD the backup will not be taken.
To cross verify the problem faced by you with USB backup provide us MWAV.log and export the registry entry from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroWorld\FBackUp" path and send it to us on qa@mwti.net for further analysis.
With Regards,

Shrinivas P.
MicroWorld Technologies Inc.
Shrinivas

Postby jasonhing » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:05 am

Shrinivas wrote:Hi Jason,

eScan will take backup of clean files from Fix local drives only.
If the file is from External USB flash drive or USB HDD the backup will not be taken.
To cross verify the problem faced by you with USB backup provide us MWAV.log and export the registry entry from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MicroWorld\FBackUp" path and send it to us on qa@mwti.net for further analysis.

If external drives are not backup, how did my fbackup folder become 5GB in size? I've checked my other users are they are all growing to about 1-3GBs. Eventually, this is going to fill up the hdd space, esp when we have only 20GB for system partition and the rest for data. The same applies to my server. We keep our system partition small and dedicate the rest to data and non-system programs.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby jasonhing » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 am

Shrinivas wrote:Hi Jason,

There is no mwav.log in my escan folder. Only mwavc.log and that only has one line in it. I deleted all the files in the fbackup on the 27th of Sept. In the last 5 days it has grown to 1.17GB. This is somewhat getting out of hand.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby Shrinivas » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi Jason,

Would like to know ,if still at your place eScan is taking backup of the files from USB flash drive /USB HDD ?..
If it is happening then,do mail the previously asked Registry entry and MWAV.log file to us.
To generate MWAV.log just click on quick scan and MWAV.log file will be generated as \Program Files\eScan\LOG\MWAV.LOG.
Also do mail us the MonVir.log file from Log folder.
Once the we receive the logs we will be in better position to analyze the exact cause of it.
With Regards,

Shrinivas P.
MicroWorld Technologies Inc.
Shrinivas

Postby jasonhing » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:01 am

I don't think it is coming from the Portable HDD or USB Pendrives. This is a bigger problem if the 5GB is not coming from the external drives. Can I just delete everything off the FBackup and then do another scan for testing?

Added: I've just sent the files to email address given by you.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Return to Technical Support