Entire email removed instead of just the attachement

Post your techical queries on any product in our range of AntiVirus, AntiSpam, Content Security and Firewall Solutions sold under the brand names of eScan, MailScan, eConceal and X-Spam here. Your queries will be responded to by our expert technical team directly.

Moderators: Divesh, Gurdip Singh

Entire email removed instead of just the attachement

Postby jasonhing » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:54 pm

Why is the entire email removed instead of the offending content? I need to recover an important email from my software vendor who sent the instructions together with a DLL file, which escan deemed as objectionable content. Fine, just remove the content but at least let me have the email.

Now I'm in a fix. I can recover the DLL file from quarantine but the instructions to use the DLL file is in the email. The vendor has left for home and I'm now stuck with a DLL file and NO INSTRUCTIONS. Where can I find that email.

I've just asked your MSN Support for help and they seem to be stuck for an answer. Now they have gone offline. Seems to happen when they are stuck for an answer.

Why are default settings removing my emails and not just the attachment. All I need to know now is how I can recover the email so that I can read the instructions. What is the point of restoring the attachment but the email is missing.

I'm using a simple POP/SMTP mail server which I host myself. Please tell me it can be recovered or I would have to wait until tomorrow for the instructions. Again productivity lost due to eScan anti-virus.

All I have now is this (I've deleted the vendors name and email address from below). So where is my email?

The attachment(s) that came with the following mail received by you had Viruses in it.

=============================================================
The Mail came from :
The Mail recipient : jasonhing@rsh.com.my
Subject of the Mail : Sales Category Report
Message-ID : <2DD3DDFBD1A941A8AA1B140496C6BC0C@>
Received : from ([]) by with MailEnable ESMTP; Thu, 13 Aug 2009 04:28:54 -0500
Sender IP :

Attachment-Name Virus-Name Action-Taken
------------------------------------------------------------
PRJSCATEGORY.DLL Suspicious-Object Quarantined
=============================================================

Use MailScan on your EMail Servers and eScan on your Windows-based PCs and Servers for maximum protection from Internet-borne viruses.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby jasonhing » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:11 pm

I just got a reply from your MSN support that 'deleted mail not recoverable'. I guess there is nothing more I can do now but to go home since I cannot use the attachment that I recovered without the instructions inside the email.

Here is a simple question. The vendor sends the email to me. eScan rips out the attachment and stores it at the Quarantine\Files folder and sends me another email. That email tells me that escan found an email having virus or objectionable content. Great. So what happened to the original email that was sent with the attachment. I can find the quarantined attachment but what happened to the email?
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby Divesh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 pm

jasonhing wrote:I just got a reply from your MSN support that 'deleted mail not recoverable'. I guess there is nothing more I can do now but to go home since I cannot use the attachment that I recovered without the instructions inside the email.

Here is a simple question. The vendor sends the email to me. eScan rips out the attachment and stores it at the Quarantine\Files folder and sends me another email. That email tells me that escan found an email having virus or objectionable content. Great. So what happened to the original email that was sent with the attachment. I can find the quarantined attachment but what happened to the email?

Hello,

Can you email the mailscan log(i.e report.log from \Program files\Mailscan\log\<date folder> from that particular date when the attachment was quarantined to qa@mwti.net.

This will help us to analyse the exact reason.

1) Also, check if a copy of the email has been forwarded to the administrator (the admin account configured in the mailscan).
eScan Forum Administrator,
MicroWorld.
=========
Divesh
Site Admin

Postby jasonhing » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:29 am

Apparently this is not a problem. It is just the default settings. eScan Malaysia paid a visit to me yesterday and told me that the default settings will quarantine the attachment but delete the email. I've been shown where to remove the email deletion settings.

I find it odd that the default setting would quarantine the attachment but delete the email. I've changed the settings and consider this case closed unless the settings failure.

Thank you for your assistance.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Postby mougur » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:22 am

It would be nice to know how to change these default settings ;)
Ozgur UGUR
Data Yazilim Ltd.
Izmir - Turkiye
mougur

Postby jasonhing » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:24 am

mougur wrote:It would be nice to know how to change these default settings ;)

Under Mail Anti-Virus Settings -> Scan Options Tab -> Advanced Button in the Block Attachment Types Section. You'd find that it checks the "Delete entire eMail if any blocked attachment is found" by default. That is odd since it already quarantined the attachment yet the email is deleted. I can understand if the email is deleted when disinfection is not possible.
Regards,
Jason Hing
jasonhing

Return to Technical Support