Major Confusion over eScan Management Console

Post your techical queries on any product in our range of AntiVirus, AntiSpam, Content Security and Firewall Solutions sold under the brand names of eScan, MailScan, eConceal and X-Spam here. Your queries will be responded to by our expert technical team directly.

Moderators: Divesh, Gurdip Singh

Major Confusion over eScan Management Console

Postby verndogz » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:29 pm

I have been working with eScan for several weeks now, with limited results. One main problem is with deployment of rule-sets. For instance, I wanted to add Staples.com to my exclude list for website blocking. I first tried it on the individual PC of the person who uses staples.com regularly. I went into their Content Administrator, but could not add it to the exclude list because it was already added to the Ratings_Block_list. There is no way to remove it from that list?

Next I tried to use Management console, but there is no way to edit the existing deployed rule-sets? I just wanted to use the one I already had and add Staples.com to it, but instead I tried to create a second rule-set, with only webpage scanning checked, but your documentation is confusing and I'm not sure what the merge list items does (in the Management Console documentation, it says it overwrites if checked, and doesn't overwrite if checked in two different places). In the end I just deleted both rule-sets and had to make a new one that included staples.com. Even then staples.com does not show up in the content administrator on the individual PCs, but it is excluded.

Why do you allow the individual PCs to access things like content administrator and eScan if they are centrally managed by the server? It is extremely confusing to me when it has settings that I can't see, but also has it's own software that can have second settings.

Thanks,
Vern
verndogz

Return to Technical Support